Camp Connections is a unique summer day camp offering social skills programming combined with goal-directed therapeutic recreation activities for children ages 4 and up. Each week includes fun, theme-centered activities, outings and learning experiences.
Campers learn, move and play to:
- Increase social understanding and social thinking!
- Develop, fine tune and generalize social skills!
- Build and expand peer interactions and friendship behaviors!
- Facilitate self-awareness, self-management and self-expression!
- Encourage cooperative group skills and teamwork in a small-group setting!
- Develop and practice independent and cognitive skills for life-long success!
- Have FUN-filled days!
WMLC employs qualified, well-trained staff who are knowledgeable and experienced in working with individuals on the Autism Spectrum and those with other Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Needs. We retain a high staff-to-client ratio, especially on community outings.
Brain Gym is designed to get the brain and body working together and to organize the sensory system so sensory input is processed and integrated more effectively.
Music & Movement
Movement and motions are put to music to energize the body and get the brain activated and integrated.
Through a small group activity, campers will develop social communication, interaction and problem-solving skills while they build “Friendship Files” to help them remember key facts about their new friends.
Guided play helps campers learn written and unwritten rules for common recess games while free play allows them to do what they enjoy doing with friends at the park or on the playground.
Campers build reciprocal conversation skills, meal-time manners and daily living and independence skills in a positive social environment.
Therapeutic recreation community outings may include visits to local parks, paddle boating, horseback riding, swimming and boating, among other activities.
Sample Camp Schedule
Early Arrival (8 – 9 am)
Morning Session (9 am – 12 pm)
- 9:00 – 9:10 — Sensory Start
- 9:10 – 9:20 — Circle Time
- 9:20 – 9:35 — Friendship Builder
- 9:35 – 10:20 — Recess
- 10:20 – 10:35 — Snack
- 10:35 – 10:50 — Read Aloud
- 10:50 – 11:05 — Brain Gym
- 11:05-11:50 — Activity
- 11:50 – 12:00 — Circle Time
Recess & Learning Lunch (12 – 1 pm)
Kids bring their own bag lunch
Afternoon Session (1 – 4 pm)
- 1:00 – 1:10 — Sensory Start
- 1:10 – 1:20 — Circle Time & Social Agenda
- 1:20 – 3:50 — Community Outing
- 3:50 – 4:00 — Cool Down
Late Pick-Up (4:30 – 6 pm) additional cost
NOTE: Morning and afternoon schedules may “flip flop” on alternating days (center-based vs. community outings).